Who is EMILY?
EMILY is an acronym which stands for Early Money Is Like Yeast – it makes the dough rise.
Giving women candidates financial support early in their campaigns provides them with the foundations on which to build a successful campaign and attract more financial support.
- Australia’s only financial, political and personal network for supporting progressive Labor women candidates into parliament
- A non-profit, membership based organisation governed by a National Committee and run by a National Office.
We work to:
- Increase the number of women MPs in our state, territory and federal parliaments to ensure Australia continues to move towards gender equality in our legislatures
- Achieve a critical mass of EMILY’s List endorsed MPs committed to pursuing a progressive parliamentary agenda
- Influence ALP policies relating to equity, diversity, choice, child care and equal pay
- Ensure a pipeline of future women candidates by encouraging indigenous and young women to consider a parliamentary career
Since 1996, we have:
- Supported more than 540 women to campaign
- Assisted more than 230 become state, territory and federal MPs.
And our members have become:
- Australia's first woman Prime Minister – Julia Gillard
- First female Premier of Queensland – Anna Bligh
- First female Chief Minister of the Northern Territory – Claire Martin
- First female Premier of Tasmania – Lara Giddings
- First of eight Indigenous women MPs – Carol Martin
- First Indigenous woman Senator – Nova Peris