Why an internship?
Targeting the next generation of women
In Julia Gillard’s last media conference as Prime Minister, she said “What I am confident of is that it will be easier for the next woman and the woman after that and the woman after that. And I’m proud of that.”
The Julia Gillard Next Generation Internship (JGNGI) is an opportunity for young women to develop skills to become the next generation of progressive female MPs. An international political internship in the name of our first woman Prime Minister will provide emerging women leaders the opportunity to learn from progressive political parties and institutions beyond Australia’s borders and establish international friendships important for their political careers. Further, it will increase our knowledge of the types of support emerging women leaders need to become MPs, win elections and lead effectively.
Interns will research the strategies and policies in place around the world to help get women elected. In 2015, EMILY’s List fought hard to change the ALP’s Affirmative Action quota rule. By 2025, 50% of ALP candidates must be women. Building on this advocacy, this intern will examine world’s best policies and practice in the ELA core areas of childcare, equal pay, diversity and choice, and how advocating for such issues empowers women and gets them elected.
Our hope is that a future woman Prime Minister will be among the alumni of the Julia Gillard Next Generation Internship.
All applications for the internship will be assessed against the following criteria:
- Demonstrated knowledge of, or interest in, one or more of the ELA principles
- Previous leadership activities
- Experience in undertaking research with a degree of autonomy and self-direction
- Demonstrated ability to complete projects with a degree of autonomy and self-direction
- Willingness to publicly advocate for ELA principles and the importance of the role of women in leadership positions
In order to be eligible for the internship, the applicant must;
- Be a woman who is living in Australia and is either an Australian citizen or has Australian residency status;
- Be member of EMILY’s List Australia
- Be a member of the ALP
- Be aged between 21 and 30 years of age at 1 January of the year of the internship
- Not previously have been a recipient of the internship
Email: [email protected]
Subject Line: JGNGI 2022 Application – (SURNAME)
Applications close midnight AEST Sunday 17 October 2022